Buy Your own advertising
.Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to open [PDF] files.
Minister of Tourism says Venturepharm Asia Sdn Bhd has no political link!
2009. 21 July
(weechookeong.wordpress.com) The Minister of Tourism Datuk Seri Ng Yen Yen, had denied in The Sun today (20 July 2009) that there was no “political link” when it awarded the RM19 million contract to Venturepharm Asia Sdn Bhd (Venturepharm) to build the Malaysia Pavilion for the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai and that it was done via an open tender and the process was carried out in a clear and transparent manner. The Minister had also denied that the ministry had helped Venturepharm to win the contract.
On 22 June 2009, the Minister of Science and Technology in response to my question has stated in Parliament as follows:
- In 2008, Venturepharm was granted “Dana TechnoFund” amounting to RM5.36 million from the Ministry for research into “Localisation of mucosal bio-additive” for feed in Malaysia.
- It was found out by the Ministry that Venturepharm only had the ability to do the said research via transfer of technology and collaborations from one Dr Mingwei Chen from XLW Inc USA.
- As at 10 March 2009, the Ministry had already paid out RM2,264,800-00.
- The remaining sum of RM3,095,200-00 has yet to be paid.
According to the corporate information of Venturepharm, which was obtained from the Companies Commission of Malaysia, the company is “engaged in research and development, and marketing of pharmaceutical products.”
Venturepharm was incorporated in 19 August 2005 and it had no previous experience in pharmaceutical products or any form of research and development. Venturepharm share the same registered office as Daro Worldwide Sdn Bhd, which was awarded the contract by the Malaysia Tourism Board to operate the Tourism Call Centre. The monthly payment for the Tourism Call Centre is RM47,500-00.
Datuk Mustapa bin Juman, the former chief executive officer of FELCRA who was charged for 3 counts of CBT involving RM40 millions and who was subsequently acquitted, is the common director and shareholder in Daro Worldwide Sdn Bhd and Venturepharm. Madam Grace Chen Oyan Yun Shai is the director and shareholder of Venturepharm and her son, Chin Fook Kwon, is the director shareholder of Daro Worldwide Sdn Bhd.
I have reason to believe that XLW Inc is not an expert in bio-feed or has the capability to transfer technology to Venturepharm. On 03 May 2008, Venturepharm signed the transfer of technology agreement with XLW Inc USA. The said agreement was signed by Mr Yang Keng Chiang on behalf of XLW Inc USA. I have been informed that recently the Ministry of Science, Technologies and Innovation had commenced investigation into this matter and in the interim the Ministry had frozen further payment of the TechnoFund amounting to RM3,095,200-00 to Venturepharm.
In early July 2009, I had provided the MACC with all the relevant documents pertaining to the Venturepharm joint co-operations with XLW Inc. I had been informed that MACC had commenced investigation into this matter.
Daley PR & Communication CoLtd
Mr Yang Keng Chiang a.k.a. Ken Chiang, who is also the managing director of Daley PR & Communication Co Ltd (Daley PR) is based in Guangzhou, China. Mr Ken Yang Keng Chiang is also the manager of XLW Inc USA. Ms Grace Chen Oyan Yun Shai, who originated from Taiwan, is the chairperson of Daley PR. For further information, please visit the website of Daley PR: www.daleypr.com. You’ll notice that Madam Grace Chen Oyan Yun Shai is also the shareholder and director of Venturepharm.
Daley PR had also been awarded with exclusive contracts by the Malaysian Tourism Board under the Ministry of Tourism to promote Malaysia in China. Among other things, Daley PR is to place advertisement on billboards, commercials on tv and radio and do other advertising activities.
I have spoke about most of the above matters in June Session of Parliament.
Developtrends Sdn Bhd
The nature of business of this company is “providing advertisement services for Malaysia Tourism in foreign countries.” It also shares the same registered office address as Venturepharm Asia Sdn Bhd and Daro Wordwide Sdn Bhd at Wisma Daro, 96 B, Jalan Cerdas, Taman Connaught, Cheras, KL.
Developtrends Sdn Bhd is a shareholder in Konsortium Perikanan Nasional Bhd (KPNB), which was incorporated on 20-03-2006.
The establishment of KPNB is an initiative of the Malaysian Government, carried out via the Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry. It is a National Project which is spearheaded by the private sector, and is tasked to play a key role in the development of the fisheries industry in the country in the new millennium, and thus be a partner with the government to facilitate the achievement of the NAP3 (1998 – 2010). Please go to http://www.kpnb.com.my/index.htm.
Y.B. Tan Sri Dato’ Hj Muhyiddin Bin Hj Mohd Yassin, is the advisor of KPNB. Ms Grace Chen Oyan Yun Shai is a director of KPNB. But Grace Chen Oyan Yun Shai is not a director or shareholder of Developtrends Sdn bhd. Please go to http://www.kpnb.com.my/_html/boardofdirector.htm for information.
Profile of YB Datuk Seri Ng Yen Yen
It must be noted that YB Datuk Seri Ng Yen Yen was the Deputy Minister of Culture and Tourism from 1999 – 2003. From 2003 she was appointed Minister of Finance. On 10-04-2009, she was appointed the Minister of Tourism.
At one time Ms Ivy See was her personal assistant when she was the Deputy Minister of Culture and Tourism. After she was appointed as Deputy Minister of Finance, Ms Ivy See left the ministry and joined Daley PR as its executive director. At the material time, Ms Ivy See and Mr Ken Yang Cheng Kiang, who is also the manager of XLW Inc USA the business partner of Venturepharm, were running Daley PR in Guangzhou.
The Contact to Build Malaysia Pavilion At The 2010 Expo In Shanghai
The first tender was opened on 13-03-2009 and it was closed on 03-04-2009 when YB Datuk Azalina Othman was the then Minister of Tourism.
Not long after YB Datuk Seri Ng Yen Yen was appointed the new Minister of Tourism, the first tender was canceled. Thereafter, Malaysian Tourism Board reopened a new tender on 13-05-2009 and it was closed on 04-06-2009.
The names of the company bidding for the First Tender are as follows:
|AMD Network Sdn Bhd||RM 29,130,050.00||RM 29, 948,650.00|
|Ad Suria Sdn Bhd||RM 27, 200,200.00|
|Media Signs Sdn Bhd||RM 29,460,000.00||RM 29,500,000.00|
|Expo Jaya Sdn Bhd||RM 19,800,000.00|
|Pico Integrated Exhibits Sdn Bhd – Option A||RM 15,933,000.00|
|Pico Integrated Exhibits Sdn Bhd – Option B||RM 13,890,000.00|
|Qube Integrated Sdn Bhd||RM 23, 682,750.00|
|Wingspan Integrated (M) Sdn Bhd||RM 19,988,000.00|
|AR Factor Resources Sdn Bhd||RM 23,091,860.00|
|WellAd Communications Sdn Bhd||RM, 89,872,319.70|
In the Second Tender, two additional companies participated and they were:
|Kumpulan Jetson Bhd RM38,833,000.0|
|Venturepharm Asia Sdn Bhd RM19,999,000.00|
Malaysia Tourism Board has now awarded the project to Venturepharm Asia Sdn Bhd, which is directly connected to Ms Grace Chen Oyan Yun Shai, to build the Malaysia’s Pavilion for the 2010 Expo in Shanghai.
The Minister of Tourism must explain the followings:
- Whether she was aware that Daley PR was the appointed PR company to promote Malaysia in China by Malaysia Tourism Board?
- At the material time, whether she was aware that her former personal assistant, Ms Ivy See, Mr Ken Yang Cheng Kiang and Ms Grace Chen Oyan Yun Sai are director of and/or closely connected Daley PR?
- Ever since Daley PR was appointed, up to this date what is the total sum that has been paid by the Malaysian Tourism Board to it?
- Whether she was aware of the fact that Developtrends Sdn Bhd, which share the same registered office address as Venturepharm Asia Sdn Bhd and Daro Worldwide Sdn Bhd, is a shareholder of Konsortium Perikanan Nasional Bhd?
- Whether she was aware that Ms Grace Chen Oyan Yun Shai is a director of Konsortium Perikanan Nasional Bhd?
- Why was there a necessity for the Malaysian Tourism Board to cancel the First Tender when the particulars of the said Tender have been properly advertised in the newspapers and closed?
- Whether it is true that there will be a variation order of RM10 million for this project to build Malaysia’s Pavilion for 2010 Expo in Shanghai?
- What are the basis for Malaysia Tourism Board to award the contract for the building of Malaysia’s Pavilion to Venturepharm Asia Sdn Bhd, when it has no previous experience in constructions business, against other bidders, who have good track records/experiences to engage in such a project?
- Why the Malaysia Tourism Board or Ministry of Tourism has yet to announce the fact that Venturepharm Asia Sdn Bhd has been awarded with the contract to build Malaysia’s Pavilion in the 2010 Expo in Shanghai?